Sunday, April 25, 2010

Tales of the Vintage Expo in Santa Monica,CA

I love love LOVE living in southern california if only because I have all the vintage I can take at my fingertips (within driving distance I should say). :)

Today, I took a trip to Santa Monica for the Vintage Expo (vintageexpo.com) Despite certain family members trying to ruin it, It was in heaven! I took my sketch book,knowledge of different styles, and my dreams lol.There was so much silk and lace and boning and sexiness and structure and history..*le sigh!* OH OH OH!! AND!! I saw the gorgeous burlesque star Miss Dita Von Teese up close and made a COMPLETE you-know-what of myself because I was walking around and saw two people talking and recognized her voice before I saw her. I didn't realize it was even her until I was standing right in front of her (she is BEAUTIFUL and such a lady.)



Did I politely go up to her and ask for an autograph or pic? No. What Did I do? Well,since I didn't notice her until we were almost face to face, I freaked, made an audible gasp and scurried around to find my family LMAO. I'm sure I'll meet her at the next expo show in October so it's ok. :) She had Ava Gardner type hair, black top, an a blue skirt down to ankles; she was just pure beauty and seeing her just shopping alone for clothing made her so much more awesome to me. <3

*For those of you unfamiliar with the beauty that is vintage clothing, here are a few tips:

1.)Sizes back then were different than they are now. For example, I saw a dress there that was labeled Size 14 but it equaled to a modern-day Size 8. So it all depends on the designer/style.

2.)Searching for vintage clothing is like a scavenger hunt, finding the right thing can take some time, so just be patient,take your time and know a bit of what your looking for before hand.

3.)You will NOT find everything in mint condition. Most vintage clothing looks a bit aged and just needs some TLC and proper storage care to bring it back to it's former glory.

4.)Vintage clothing is not cheap. I myself didn't get any clothing BUT was able to buy patterns from the 40's&50's, so I can still MAKE the style clothing..even though one day I'd like to own alot of real vintage clothing :)

5.)Not all of it is really Peta friendly. Be prepared to see alot of real silk,leather and fur. Just warning you. ;p

I didn't take any pics (since someone was yelling at me..grr.) BUT here is a video from vintageexpo.com last years event. YaY for GOOD fashion! ;)
-L



(Video Credit-YouTube Member:jkatproductions)

No comments:

Post a Comment